Skip to main content

Did you say the D word...Depression?

Let's get honest. I take an anti-depressant. My name is Sara Linkous and I suffer from Depression (along with some other things). I have taken anti-depressants in the past, for a year or so. And several months ago I was in a funk. I was at my PCP's office and he mentioned something about depression and I teared up, he put his hand on my shoulder and said something like "We're going to work on this" or "it's ok," I don't remember what he said, but it gave me hope.

I have regained some of the weight I lost. My thyroid issue was not under control (it is much better now), my lymphatic system was not working, my hyper-somnia was worse... I was kind of a mess. But I bet you couldn't tell. I would put on a happy face for work and church and family (some family members saw through it a called me out, thank you).

Depression is a freaking jerk. I am doing better, there are more good days than bad.
I don't say this for sympathy, but to encourage you to talk to someone about how you are feeling (I know it sounds all "counselor like,", but hey, I am one). Don't feel like you are alone. Fight for your health, mental and physical. You know you better than anyone else.


I am a YouTube watcher and stumbled across this video today and I am going to share it. The one statement that stuck with me was “The key to healing, is taking away the shame."(*side note, another good statement that I heard that is related to addiction was this, "we are not going to arrest our way out of this," but I'll address that another day*)

People Didn't Believe My Mental Illness  


Much Love,

Sara 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so

so, if you know me, you know that i ask a lot of questions. i seem to wonder about things that no one thinks of.. i will share my most amazing thoughts on here. maybe if you have thoughts, you can respond; if not, it just feels good to get it out. example. why does nabisco continue to make "regular" oreo's, when they have double stuffed? i mean ,why would you not purchase the double stuffed, it's so much better!

4 months already?

Surgery seems so long ago, but in reality yesterday was four months since I had gastric sleeve surgery. These photos are four months apart, I have lost 51 pounds. I feel amazing! I got the results from my three month postop bloodwork, the only issue is my thyroid is not working correctly, which we knew before surgery. I will have further testing on that in the next few weeks. I started this process wearing a size 28 in pants and a 4X in T-shirts, I am now in a comfortable size 22 pants and a 2X and T-shirts. If you see me on a regular basis, you will notice that I have the same clothes in heavy rotation, bear with me, I'm working on selling some clothes so I can buy new clothes that fit! As far as exercise goes, I continue to go to yoga class and I have started attending a spinning\cycling class, and is always the elliptical. The elliptical is my true love.  I am forever grateful for everyone's support during this journey so far, and I know that your support is ongoing. Love y

How is it that 6 months seems so short and so long?

I am in an amazing season of life. It's weird most days and I do not understand the plans the Lord is making, but that is okay. The Lord has timing. This morning as I sat in church, Andy Heis spoke about enjoying THIS time that God is moving in and do not spend all your time and energy looking back or looking too far forward. And at this moment, I am great. Sure things will change and move and explode and calm again, that is life folks. Almost 2 years ago I was originally nominated for the Humanitarian Award, that I was blessed to win 18 months later. The National Obesity Foundation is ran by almost all volunteers and they had a large turn over and my paperwork was lost in the shuffle. Lucky for them, I am persistent and assertive. I called and emailed and called and emailed until I spoke with Mike Panas, who helped me tremendously. As you know, I won that award and had Gastric Sleeve surgery in June, 6 months ago. I cannot say that I wished it would had happened sooner and I cann